Friday, October 9, 2009

Wowza, first week is DONE!

Its about 12:30 right now and we gotta run to lunch, then I’ve completed my first week of school. I’ve taught 3 classes today from 10 ish til now, its pretty crazy. All my 3rd graders were hounding me about singing autographs, so, of course I singed them.

…I mean really…I felt like tony romo or something, it was crazy!!! Well someone who plays well....ohhhh snap!

These kids are freaking adorable, they’re so…3rd or 5th grade….haha i dunno, they’re just kids but they’re insane! I walk down the hallway and get SCREAMED at: HELLO!!! (Hi)….HELLO!!! (hey!!) Its actually a good thing, I can teach them that ‘hey’ means the same thing as hello…well, sometimes

They’re pretty well behaved, I mean I’ve got to smack the board a few times to say pay the hell attention to this! But by far my favorite moment came in my second class today…(dude my lady co-teacher just asked me if I have any plans to marry, shes talking to two other teachers who don’t speak English, one’s the gym teacher…the other I think is an adminstrator)

…moving on

More about the dinner with all the teachers...

I went to dinner with all the teachers night before last. We had, fresh FRESH FREAKING BRAND NEW STILL SWIMMING sushi. In case ya can’t tell, I was a bit stoked. They had 3 or 4 bottles of soju at the table and…well, it wasn’t bad stuff. It was kinda weird, as the principal kept handing me shot glasses to pour him a shot. Then he shoots it and after I poured him a shot (hold the shot glass with 2 hands) he pours me a shot. It tasted, like, it had no alcohol in it. For real…

At dinner, there were about 17 plates (ok I counted) at each table, 3 of us at each table and you just eat whatever you want…without your own plate. Grab the chopsticks and go. The men and women sat at different tables, then socialized after dinner. I was handed a glass and this other teacher goes:

Korean teacher man: Mike I want to pour you a beer….
Me: (thought) …dude why arnt you teaching English, homeboy can’t even put that sentence together!
Me: Thank you!!
Korean teacher man: you like Korea? The food?
Me: Yes, ye—
Korean Teacher man: you think she pretty? (points to a girl next to me)
Me: Yes ye---
Korean Teacher man: I do too!!!

Then he walks over to her…hahaha, it was like he wanted my approval!

Anywhooooo…..

This morning/last night was fun…I called JB and Sandy’s radio morning show the other week to ask for good “juju.” Like good luck…and I wanted to call in, let them know that I survived the flight and the juju worked…it turned into a bit of a conversation and they…well ya can’t mess up around them.

In class today we were taking questions from the kids about America…She would interpret for me what the kids were asking…remember, 3rd graders. Went something like this…hahah

Little kid: 패밀리 사이트
Co-teacher lady: how you say, f*ck you in America (she puts up the middle finger)
Me: Hahah, that’s probably not appropriate…:-\

Little kid, same one: 한국국제교류재단, 국제협력단
Co-teacher lady: who is the president of America?
Me: Barack Obama!
Little kids: AHAHAHAHAHAHA OBAMA, HAHAHAHA, OBAMA!!!!

Little kid (the same one): 동포, 재외동포; 자료실
Co-teacher lady: what happens, if, you say f*ck you to the Obama?
Me: He’ll say it back…haha

Little girl: how old?
Me: 74

Little boy: how old are you?
Me: 55

Little girl: When’s your birthday?
Me: oh, I’ll write it on the board in the Korean way…86, 6, 6
Thought: wait, math…crap! Write it on the board: 74-6-6 (bahah!!)

Whenever I walk around the halls after class, the kids seem to congregate around me…I’m in the middle and like 30 of them are just walking with me. I feel like saying,

…follow my little Asians (as I put my arms up)

We were doing a song today that went: “1,2,3,4 I have 4 Pigs!” It was really hard for me not to say….1,2,3,4 get your woman on the floor, gotta gotta get up to get down, gotta gotta get up to get down!!!!

No worries mother, it’s a song...

Lunch was something interesting today, I went with all the male teachers and I guess I didn’t realize that the sexes eat at separate tables then move around after the meal. I’ve been eating with lady co-teacher all week…and telling everyone when they ask if I’m married: “oh GOD no!!!”

…I hope they don’t think I’m gay. (As I uncross my legs)

Bah, they know I’m not gay…the teachers are trying to hook me up with the gym teacher. Granted, not bad to look at, yet…I have quite a list of attributes needed to be fulfilled before I even consider a ‘relationship’ …. The big “R” word. One of them is to speak English...and she’s not even close. The other girl they want me to date speaks NO English either, and she thinks I’m close to age 30…wowza

Anyway, I was supposed to meet up with some Canadians today but that fell through. I’m gonna meet up, possibly, with some other Canadians today…if I can find them on facebook…as that’s the only way to meet people (haha, SO KIDDING)

I met a Canadian (like ya do when in Korea) last night at a bar called New York bar…apparently a hardcore foreigner bar. Its apparently not hard to meet foreigners, I’ve already met a few just around town…theres a gas station/convenient store called Orange 24 that has foreigners sitting outside of it…hanging out…all the time. I haven’t found it yet…

…but I hope to meet my long lost Australian love there (yum)

Anyway, here’s a bunch of pics from my school:





No comments: